Victoria, originally part of the Arlington Heights subdivision, is a historical neighborhood and was partly developed by Matthew Gage.
The streets flow with the land, following the natural contours, and the varying house elevations make for an ever-changing suburban environment.
Victoria has been a part of Riverside since its founding. Only the eastern-most portion was added later in two separate annexations in 1960 and 1961. This area is split evenly between low-density and medium-density housing and this neighborhood has the fourth-highest homeownership rate in the city.
The western edge of the neighborhood supports a mixture of commercial and office uses, along with the Olivewood Cemetery. Victoria is also home to the California School for the Deaf, a premier provider of special education services.
The largest and most notable feature of this neighborhood is Victoria Avenue, designed to mirror the divided carriageway of Magnolia Avenue. The Avenue is a city landmark and currently in the designation process for the National Register of Historic Places. This street is the central thoroughfare through the north portion of the neighborhood.
To provide an attractive and impressive entry marker for his subdivision, Gage contracted with Priestly Hall, a local architect of note, to design a Victorian-style house on top of Victoria Hill. This house still stands and is known as Rockledge. The three-story adobe house is a prime example of Victoria architecture and was recently restored to excellent condition.
Victoria’s northern boundary is the Tequesquite Arroyo, which provides a unique geographical barrier, separating this region from the Eastside neighborhood, and providing open space for recreation. The Victoria Country Club, established in 1903 and among the state’s first country clubs, is situated above and in the arroyo and offers a beautiful natural environment near the heart of downtown.
The original Victoria Bridge was wooden and built in 1891 to unite the Arlington Heights citrus-growing tract with Downtown. It was designed by Hall, who was a contributing developer of the Arlington Heights subdivision. The bridge, which linked the north end of Victoria Avenue with the eastern portion of the original Mile Square, opened on Thanksgiving Day 1891 and supported a streetcar line from 1901 to 1924. In 1928, the bridge was replaced with a concrete and steel version.
Based on information from California Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. as of January 28, 2023 11:07AM and/or other sources. All data, including all measurements and calculations of area, is obtained from various sources and has not been, and will not be, verified by broker or MLS. All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information.
Listing Information © 2023 California Regional MLS. All Rights Reserved.
Stay informed on price reductions, new homes that match your search & other insider information.