More than half of Northside was part of the original city boundaries of Riverside, and it is the city’s oldest residential neighborhood. The other portions have been added in four annexations from 1960 to 1993.
Northside was once home to a natural sulfur spring that was believed to have curative powers. Pioneer Riversiders found Indian artifacts at the spring, suggesting belief in its healing power pre-existed Anglo settlement. Dr. James Greves, co-founder of Riverside, is rumored to have owned the land but did nothing commercial with it.
In 1886, William Elliot purchased the site, located just east of Strong and Main streets, and drilled a 370-foot well to increase the water flow. He then installed a pool and an elaborate bathhouse. Early Hollywood used the pool for swimming scenes because of the clarity of the water. Henry Houdini and Buster Keaton acted in movie scenes utilizing this pool. The pool and bathhouse changed names and ownership several times and closed in 1950 when the spring ran dry, most likely due to Elliot’s original drilling. It was revived briefly in 1960, this time without the water, but closed again shortly thereafter.
Based on information from California Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. as of December 11, 2023 8:24AM and/or other sources. All data, including all measurements and calculations of area, is obtained from various sources and has not been, and will not be, verified by broker or MLS. All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information.
Listing Information © 2023 California Regional MLS. All Rights Reserved.
Stay informed on price reductions, new homes that match your search & other insider information.