Residents first settled this area in 1875 as the Village of Arlington. But it has never been a city apart from Riverside.
Arlington dates back to the original 1876 subdivision plans of the Riverside Land and Irrigating Co., owned by Samuel C. Evans and William Sayward. Shortly after 1900, the little commercial district known as Arlington included a Methodist church, boarding house, pool hall, store, a couple doctor offices, Chemawa Park (with zoo, rides, and polo field, primarily for Frank Miller’s guests at the Glenwood Mission Inn who took the Arlington Electric Streetcar Line down to the park), and the newly relocated Sherman Indian Institute.
The area later included two large annexations in 1961 and 1964.
Three-quarters of the homes in Arlington were built between 1950 and 1980 and limited remaining space has curtailed any large-scale recent development. Arlington has two of the most active neighborhood associations in the City: the Arlington Community Committee and the Arlington Project Area Committee.
The Arlington Redevelopment Area, formerly confined to a single intersection, was recently expanded to encompass more than one thousand acres in the heart of the neighborhood.
Based on information from California Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. as of December 11, 2023 7:56AM and/or other sources. All data, including all measurements and calculations of area, is obtained from various sources and has not been, and will not be, verified by broker or MLS. All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information.
Listing Information © 2023 California Regional MLS. All Rights Reserved.
Stay informed on price reductions, new homes that match your search & other insider information.