The community of Arlanza has lived through some interesting landscaping. It started out as a portion of Rancho La Sierra in the early 1800s. The Rancho originally stretched out to Lake Matthews and belonged to Vicente Sepulveda.
In 1942, the Army bought 1,250 acres of the former Rancho west of Van Buren Avenue, on both sides of Arlington Avenue. This was the beginning of Camp Anza, a quickly built wooden temporary-staging center used during World War II. Over the course of the war, nearly 600,000 soldiers and workers passed through the camp, calling Arlanza home, at least for a short time.
In 1961, when the University of California and the surrounding area voted themselves as part of the City of Riverside, Arlanza did the same. The old Army barracks were converted to homes on newly subdivided land.
The terrain of Arlanza is as varied as its development. The region is generally flat in the east, hilly in the south and west, and borders on the Santa Ana River to the north. Arlanza developed steadily over the last half of the 20th century but still reflects the basic pattern of Riverside growth, with peaks in the 1950s and 1970s. The neighborhood has great potential for redevelopment and continued growth.
Based on information from California Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. as of December 4, 2023 11:55PM and/or other sources. All data, including all measurements and calculations of area, is obtained from various sources and has not been, and will not be, verified by broker or MLS. All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information.
Listing Information © 2023 California Regional MLS. All Rights Reserved.
Stay informed on price reductions, new homes that match your search & other insider information.